McKinney-Vento Act Homeless Assistance
Serving Families In Transition
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act affords eligible students the rights to immediate enrollment, transportation/busing, automatic enrollment in the free/reduced lunch program, automatic enrollment in Title I services, all school-based services for which they qualify and participation in all programs and activities offered to students and families.
Who Is Eligible For Services According To The McKinney-Vento Act?
The term “homeless children and youth” refers to individuals who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. Under the law, a child may qualify as homeless if he or she is:
- Living in an emergency shelter, domestic violence shelter, or transitional housing;
- Living in a motel, hotel, trailer park, or campground, were abandoned in a hospital, or are awaiting foster care placement;
- Living in a car, park, public place, bus or train station, abandoned building, or other structure not meant for housing;
- Doubled-up with relatives or friends due to a loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;
- NOT living with a parent or legal guardian, is an unaccompanied youth living in a situation that meets one of the four definitions listed above.
How Does The McKinney-Vento Program Work At North Montgomery Schools?
The McKinney-Vento liaison assists in advocating for families and assisting them in coordinating the academic support for their children. The liaison works closely with each building in the district to assure eligible families receive needed support. The liaison assists families with school enrollment for eligible students (regardless of missing immunization or academic records) and arranges for busing or transportation assistance.
For more information or assistance with determining eligibility, contact the District's McKinney-Vento Liaison:
Dr. Anthony Tharp
North Montgomery Community School Corp.
480 W 580 N
Crawfordsville, Indiana 47933
How Can I Access McKinney-Vento Services?
If you feel your child or family meets one or more of the qualifications to receive services provided by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, and your child is currently or will be enrolled in one of our schools, please contact the District Liaison, Dr. Anthony Tharp, at 765-359-2112 or call your school principal.
For more information on specific rights of students and parents, click here. For a copy of the NMCSC McKinney-Vento Plan, click here.